Monday 17 September 2012

The Cost of a Blog

Hey guys!  Slightly different post for you today - a bit more wordy :)

The other night I was thinking about how much I love blogging, which led me to think about how much time I spend blogging, which in turn led me to think about how much money I spend on my blog (domain name, buying products to review, advertising etc) and it dawned on me that, it's a pretty darn expensive hobby!

I don't know about any of you, but for me I have a goal for my blog (combined with my YouTube channel), I want to be able to do it full time, within the next 2 years.  That's a pretty big goal, and one I might not be able to achieve, but I'm going to try my hardest to achieve it :)  

So, along the lines of 'how much is your face worth', I thought I'd do a 'how much is your blog worth' post.  Now, this is in no means bragging, far from it, I think on looking at this, I'll actually be more embarrassed by how much I spend on my blog... I also think that a lot of people who read blogs, don't necessarily think about what goes into them, whether that's the time, money or effort etc.  So, here I attempt to put all of that together... lets see what happens!

The Cost of a Blog

Basic regular costs

Domain name:  £10 a year (£0.83p pm)
Advertising: £15 pm on Sprinkleofglitter
Total: £15.83 pm

Time spent (hrs)

Weekends: Typically I spend 6-12 hours each day (Sat & Sun) working on my blog, so we'll split the difference and say 9 hours on Sat and 9 hrs on Sun, taking the weekend total to 18 hours.
Weekdays:  Realistically I spend about 2 hours a day on my blog (sometimes more, sometimes less), so that's 10 hours a week, taking the total to 28 hours a week, which I'm sure you'll agree, is pretty much a full time job (bear in mind, I have a full time day job, doing a 40 hour week)
Total: 28 hours
Pay:  None.
If I were to get minimum wage for people over 21 in the UK is £6.08, so X that by 28 = £170.24 (per week) or £680.96 per month.

Products

The big one!  How much do I spend on makeup each month?  This is a hard one to estimate, because it's different amounts each month... looking back over my bank statements, it's realistically (and shamefully) about £100 per month.  I know... that often consists of 1 high end item for like £30, and then maybe 2-3 shopping trips during lunch of about £20-£30 - seems innocent enough on each trip... but holy moley do they add up!

So if we add up all those figures....
Regular costs: £15.83pm
Time spent £680.96 pm
Products £100 pm
Total: £796.79

If we don't factor my time into it, it's a more manageable £115.83 pm... still a lot of money!  And that isn't counting the time spent on twitter talking to people, promoting my blog, the human cost - so is there a cost to my marriage for the amount of time I'm spending on my hobby, blogging... 

So the big question is, if you're a blogger/YouTuber, how much is yours worth?

Pixi3 out
xXx
SHARE:

15 comments

  1. This is a really eye opening post! Its shocking when you add it all up. I've never really thought about the cost of the time we put into blogging either.

    Thanks for sharing :)

    Laura x
    http://laurasallmadeupbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post!I have no idea how much my blog is worth but its probably similar. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of this! I literally DREAD to think how much mine is worth, probably very embarrassing like you said! I'm gonna total it up later and let you know! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was quite embarrassing adding it all up :S

      Delete
  4. no idea nd moreover i m new to blogging

    My recent post
    Cute nail art by me :) !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crickey. Well ive been blogging a month and I have noticed a drastic change in my beauty budget spending. Lol. Have u seen my second VLog think it's a but better than the first lol . I think u will achieve ur goal. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just you wait, it'll get more and more and more!

      Delete
  6. Interesting post! I'm not advertising yet as I don't have a blog button, but it's something I'd like to do! I don't have a domain either. Would be interesting to add up my time though & actually add up how much I've spent on beauty products every month. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a good idea for a post.... and you're a braver woman than me to add up the cost of your blog - I think I'd be mortified if I totted mine up!
    Ambarina xxx
    www.beautypassionista.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't easy... but I thought it would be interesting to do :)

      Delete
  8. Interesting, I never thought of figuring out how much my blog costs... Genius!
    The time spent is the most valuable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! That's quite something isn't it? More than my monthly wage for the whole year lol.

    Louise x

    Confessions of a Secret Shopper

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message :)

Please note that 'lets follow each other' type comments will be deleted and not replied to.

© Makeup-Pixi3. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig