Monday 2 September 2013

Chanel vs Collection - Liquid eyeliners

Collection fast stroke liner and the Chanel ecriture liner

I'll be honest, I've put off writing this post a bit.  Let me tell you about my love for Chanel.  There's many reasons I love them as a brand, their style is sophisticated and elegant, their beauty products are outstanding in quality, and in my opinion often unparalleled by other brands.  The Chanel Ecriture liquid eyeliner I hailed as my holy grail of liners a few months ago (review here), I've been buying it for about 10 years, each one lasts me about 10 months, so I always felt I had value for money.  I've tried and tried to find other liquid liners which are as good (pigmentation, staying power, and most importantly, don't melt onto my lid during the day) but I've never found anything that can hold a torch to Chanel, until now.  I'll let the photo's do the talking.

The tips/applicators of both liquid eyeliners
A swatch of each of the liners
Each liner applied to each eye showing the difference between them

I think it's pretty clear which one looks better.  Both were 100% dry when photo's were taken, but yet the Chanel one is glossy and looks almost wet.  I love how the Collection one is so matte and so black, it's exactly what I look for in a liquid eyeliner.  The most important factor for me was whether the Collection fast stroke liner would transfer to to my lid during the day, which is what every other liquid eyeliner I've ever tried (apart from the Illamasqua precision ink) has done.  I tested it on hot sweaty days and cool days where I had to wrap up in a jumper.  No matter what conditions I tried it on, it didn't budge, even after 18 hours of wear, 18 hours!!!!

But lets not get too carried away, the Collection Fast Stroke is flawed, the applicator isn't as easy to use as the Chanel one as it's not as flexible, and you need to keep dipping it back into the well, but is that a big deal? No.  Next up, there's quite a few parabens in it (Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Propylparaben & Isobutylparaben - Chanel has the same ones other than Isobutylparaben) but you know what, there's a lot in the Chanel one too, the one that's £23 more expensive!

I was really shocked, I'd found a replacement for my holy grail Chanel eyeliner, but there's no denying it, the £2.99 (currently on offer in Superdrug for £2.50) Collection fast stroke eye liner is better than the Chanel one... I'm almost sad about the fact I already have a replacement for my Ecriture de Chanel sitting in my drawer waiting for my current one to run out.  But I think when that replacement has run out, that'll be it for me, I'll be making the switch to Collection.  I think I'll also be trying some of the other colours in the set (blue & brown) to rock some double liner.

Now I'll need to find a whole new excuse to visit the Chanel counter :)

This months Bigest-Pixi3 advertiser is the lovely Hayley from Water Painted Dreams

 
SHARE:

13 comments

  1. I think you have found your self a little money saver so you can spend it on other Chanel products xx

    Lots of Love Beautyqueenuk xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the same! I loved the Chanel and when it ran out I bought the Collection on a whim. Really pleased with the fast drying matte effect. I have the same niggle about the brush, it's really difficult, but I tend to use the Real Technique fine liner brush and stick it in the pot, much better application I find :) x

    http://prettyluxuries.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh what a great post, I love the look of the collection one the black pigments in it are so gorgeous and look great. They wear time also sounds amazing! Think I might be picking this up soon :)

    Jamie-Lee | Glitter Infatuation | Beauty & Lifestyle Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really really rate Collection eye liners, their glitter gel liners are the best I've ever tried! So opaque and long-lasting, I've never found a liner that compares with their glitter coverage. Their blushes are quite nice too! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow the Collection one looks 10X nicer. Such a great bargain. I've been using the £1 MUA one and loving it.

    Hayley
    Water Painted Dreams
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant honest review, I love the NYX Liquid Liner!

    Stevie | Stevie Hearts Makeup
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow that's a shocking difference!!

    - Janine
    http://theeoptimist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow need to find this. :) I use the Nyx liquid liner and that stays true in terms of colour and form on my lids all day.

    MISSY IN THE MIRROR

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found this so useful! I was thinking of buying the chanel liquid liner so thanks for suggesting the collection one

    themacaronaddict.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Chanel Makeup brand too but I have an eye-shadow of theirs that smells awful now and I have been disappointed by their eye care range too. So far I like that their lippies have good staying power and their compact powders are of great quality. Hope you find another Chanel product to love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This Collection liner looks great. My hands down favourite is Rimmel which has the same nib as this one. Great comparison xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Collection Fast Stroke eyeliner has been my favourite liquid eyeliner since I was a kid, I find that it's just easy good to apply and like you say, has a lovely black matte finish. So at that price, why shop around?!

    Lu ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message :)

Please note that 'lets follow each other' type comments will be deleted and not replied to.

© Makeup-Pixi3. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig