Tuesday 8 October 2013

Taking care of your hair


Now the weather has changed our hair goes through the elements and is really put through it's paces, so I thought it would be a good idea to put a post together with some good hair care tips.  As a disclaimer, I'm not a trained professional, I'm just talking about what works for me.

A good shampoo & conditioner

It starts with a good shampoo and conditioner, if you have coloured hair be sure to pick appropriately as they'll improve the longevity of your colour, otherwise pick for your hair type (i.e dry, oily etc). Personally, I don't really care so much about brands, but what's in it.  Try to use shampoo that's free of SLS and silicone as neither are good for you or your hair.  One of my favourite shampoos & conditioners is the Happy Hair Days range which I usually pick up at my local supermarket (Sainsburys), they're about £5 each and always make my hair feel lovely.  Their marshmallow & coconut ones are great, and their new argan oil ones are just as lovely, even if they don't smell as amazing!

Masks

Once a week I always use a hair mask.  Which one you use really depends on your hair type, but I like to think of it as giving my hair a drink and a moisturise.  The one I find myself reaching for over the others is the Macadamia deep repair masque.  It smells lovely and makes my hair feel amazing afterwards, really soft and silky and feeling different from when I use conditioner.  You don't want to apply it too often or your hair will get used to it, and it gets a bit expensive!  It's just like wearing your coat indoors when it's cold out, you won't feel the benefit of it when you go outside :)

Hair oils

When you're ready to dry your hair you might want to try a hair oil.  Now, these really confused me for a long time.  I have oily hair, so why would I want to add oil to it?  But it doesn't quite work like that, it nourishes and protects your hair.  As much as I love argan oil for my hair, my favourite hair oil product has to be the DGJ Organics berruti oil.  It actually leaves my hair feeling softer than argan oil and even if I've used a bit of a rubbish shampoo and conditioner, this helps my hair feel great.

Drying, Straightening and curling

Not all of these will help look after your hair in the Autumn/Winter (straightening and curling), but using a good hairdryer will help.  Ideally you don't want to use a setting that's too high, but one with high wattage that can dry your hair quickly without burning it.  There's a few decent hair dryers out there, like the Echim blow dryers.  High wattage which means they're more powerful, different heat settings including a 'coldshot' setting and at a respectable price.  If you're straightening or curling your hair, make sure to use a heat protector before you apply heat - my friend always raves about the Tresemme argan oil heat protector :)

So they're my tips for keeping your hair in good condition this Autumn/Winter, why don't you share your tips below in the comments :)



This months Bigest-Pixi3 advertiser is the lovely Jess from Coffee Cosmetics

 
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Great tips, the change in seasons has sent my hair a bit haywire. Don't know how to control it! I really need to start making an effort starting with a good chop!

    http://mylushbox.blogspot.co.uk/

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message :)

Please note that 'lets follow each other' type comments will be deleted and not replied to.

© Makeup-Pixi3. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig