Wednesday 9 October 2013

My new hobby

Wool and knitting needles

It all begins with a story.

About 3 weeks ago I had a random text from my friend asking if I wanted to take up knitting together, as random as that was, I actually thought that would be good fun and said yes.  Monday I finally got around to buying some knitting needles and wool - this would have happened sooner, but everywhere I went didn't sell them *shrugs*.

I went to John Lewis, picked up a set of needles and a couple of balls of cheap wool, nothing fancy just a plain colour and not too thick.

Then, Monday night I decided I was going to sit down and learn, but where on earth do I start!?  Well, like all good things in modern day life, it began with a search, I googled 'how to knit' and a video popped up.


Maybe this has taught me the wrong way, but it was easy to follow and I'm now knitting my first rectangle :P  If it's long enough, I'll try to turn it into a scarf, or maybe an endless scarf :)

Either way, I thought I'd share this with you as I know quite a few of my readers and fellow bloggers are knitters.

If you have any tips, or links to good websites you know of feel free to leave a comment below :)



This months Bigest-Pixi3 advertiser is the lovely Jess from Coffee Cosmetics

 
SHARE:

21 comments

  1. I used to love knitting when I was younger! I can see why you want to do it :)
    Liza | Glambeautys | YouTube

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember my mum teaching me years ago when I was a kid, shame she's not here anymore to teach me again. But, I've found some amazing books and youtube videos :D

      Delete
  2. I just started knitting as well as a means of relaxing/meditating, it gets soooo addictive don't you think?

    fmrwillems.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool! Yeah it's really relaxing & addictive, you just zone out :)

      Delete
  3. I cannot recommend this book enough for a beginner. It's so good at getting you to knit things other than scarves in a really simple way. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Knitty-Gritty-Knitting-Absolute-Beginner/dp/0713685425/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381308076&sr=8-1&keywords=knitty+gritty
    Have fun! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's been really highly recommended to me by a couple of people, I ordered it today :D

      Delete
  4. I would love to knit! I cannot seem to get the hang of it. Ever. I think its because I am clumsy! Nice post though. Would love to see a finished product of your knitting one day!

    http://throwmesomethingbeautiful.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh don't you worry, this is the beginning of a series :) Over time I'll share some of the things I make :D

      Delete
  5. My daughter loves to knit! She's 11....lol She just knits lots of squares and then sews them together to make little blankets....She's so domesticated...hehehe x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to crochet, so many of my friends do it and they all say it is relaxing x
    Beautyqueenuk xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh I might need to take this up as a hobby! I'm sure it would be nice and soothing with a candle on :)

    www.gingerbreadsmiles.blogspot.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cool! My mum and nan have tried to teach me countless times how to do it but I just can't get the hang of it! Maybe I'll have to give it another go :)
    Vicki xx

    www.ricoandtine.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've just started learning how to knit, it's one of those things I've always wanted to do but never got round to so when a work friend said she'd teach me I jumped at the chance. I'm also just working on my little rectangle but hoping it'll represent maybe a little scarf soon (yn)

    Hannah xx Squidoodles & oodles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah nice! My rectangle has turned into a triangle for some reason :P Seem to be making it wider every time I add a new row, and no idea how I've done that :P

      Delete
  10. Aww thanks lovely :) Welcome to the gang :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to take up knitting and just knit myself loads of snuggly winter hats.

    Rosie | eatreadglam.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I look forward to seeing your first creation! I've stopped and started knitting so many times, and crochet, and quilting... I just can't seem to persevere! Good luck with your never-ending scarf! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message :)

Please note that 'lets follow each other' type comments will be deleted and not replied to.

© Makeup-Pixi3. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig