Monday 1 July 2013

Budget makeup picks

I think it's fair to say, the majority of us don't have hundreds of pounds to throw away on high end makeup every month, I know I don't.  Yes I like to splash out every now and then but it's not a regular occurrence.  One thing as a beauty blogger that I have made as a goal, is to find high quality high street products which are as good, if not better, than their high end counterparts.  So, without further ado here are my top budget makeup picks. 

Elf Powder brush

The elf powder brush on a colourful background
You can pick this up on the Elf website for £3.75*, very soft synthetic bristles with a flat top, perfect for applying powder, works great on blusher too :)  It has a rubberised grippy handle too and can be used on wet or dry products.

Bourjois healthy mix serum

A photo of the Bourjois healthy mix serum
You can pick this up for about £10.99 from Boots and Superdrug.  As much as it may not be my 'go-to' foundation, especially since I have the Dior BB Cream in my life (yes, not exactly fitting for a high street post!), but this is a really decent foundation.  Hands down better than the Revlon Nearly Naked which I really didn't like.  If you keep your eyes peeled you could pick this up on a 3 for 2 offer.

Collection lasting perfection concealer

A close up of the collection lasting perfection concealer in fair
Hands down one of the best concealers out there, regardless of high end / high street, it's just brilliant.  It's a heavyweight concealer that sets beautifully and lasts really well.  The best bit, it's only around £5 in Boots/Superdrug :)

Maybelline the Rocket volum mascara

A photo of the Maybelline rocket volum mascara
If you're in the UK (like me) you'll know it's virtually impossible to get our mitts on the iconic Covergirl lash blast mascara, however, this little beauty from Maybelline is practically the same!  The wand is almost identical, the formula very similar and the look it gives your lashes is pretty much identical.  The non waterproof version is pretty much as tough to get off your lashes as waterproof mascara, so make sure you have some good makeup remover to hand :) This you can pick up from Boots / Superdrug for about £7.99.

Elf lipstick

A photo of an elf lipstick with the lid off
The photo really doesn't pick up the colour very well, it's actually a very bright lipstick.  The packaging may not feel really high quality, but hey, you can twist the lipstick up and down and that's all that really matters :)  The formulation is good, I'd describe it as a semi-matte finish.  Pigmentation is great as is staying power, and for £1.50* it's hard to go wrong :)  You can pick them up on the elf website.

Maybelline colour tattoo

A photo of the Maybelline colour tattoo in Eternal Gold
If you can't afford the Urban Decay primer potion (or even if you already have it), or if you have really oily and hooded lids like me then you'll love this for making your eye shadow last much longer and stay put.  I use this on top of my primer, then add shadow on top - I'll get a good 12 hours out of my shadow before it's all creased - which is about double the time of just primer.  Depending on the shade you get it can also add intensity to the shadow and give it a whole different look.  You can pick them up in Boots / Superdrug for about £4.99 - and they last ages!

MUA Undressed palette

A photo of the MUA undressed palette (used!)
Not everyone can afford the Urban Decay naked palette and if you're one of them, this little beauty is only £4 and is a great quality.  I won't like, the naked palette is better, but not by a whole lot.  The shades are near identical just not quite as finely milled, and there's a bit more fallout with these, but for £4 it's hard to argue which one is better value.  You can find this in Superdrug and on the MUA website.

Rimmel scandaleyes kohl kajal liner

A photo of the rimmel scandaleyes nude liner
This has become a bit of a go to product for me over recent weeks.  The shade nude does a great job of brightening up the waterline and opening up the eyes.  And because it's a nude shade you don't get that gathering of icky goo in the corners of your eyes, result!  You can pick this up in Boots / Superdrug for about £3.99.

FashionistA blush palette

The FashionistA 6 blush palette
When I heard MUA had bought FashionistA and was selling them at less than half price, I had to jump on that bandwagon!  I'll be doing a full review of this palette (which cost £9!!!) sometime soon.  These blushers are amazing quality, all very pigmented and with different finishes, some glittery, some matte and some satin, but they're all great and only cost £1.65 on the MUA website.  This is a brilliant way to build up a nice selection of blushers for a great price which can be done here.

So there you have it, my budget makeup picks for the moment.  I also have a couple of tips stuffed up my sleeve to share with you too:

  • Make TKMaxx your friend, they often have NYX & Physicians Formula products in for really good prices, and they're products which we can't really get very easily over here, especially the latter.
  • Only buy makeup when there's an offer on.  A massive % of the time both Boots & Superdrug have 3 for 2 offers on, that's the time to write down what you want and make your purchase!
  • Search on Twitter for blogsales, often you'll find beauty bloggers selling off lots of their collections for great prices - quite often you'll be able to pick up a brand new item, sometimes I'll have been used a little or just swatched for a photograph.
  • Make sure to check blogs for reviews of products you're thinking of buying, we may just be able to save you from buying something you'll hate :)






This months Bigest-Pixi3 advertiser is the lovely Shang from The Feminine Crusade

 
Written by Georgina Kent
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. I love the Collection concealer. It's the only one I've ever used and I feel no urge to look somewhere else! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this FashionistA blush palette looks really good to me.
    And what a timing, i was thinking about going to one of our local TKMaxx. I think we have 3 or 4 of them in town, but i have never been to one.
    Let's see what it bargain it has to offer ;)

    xoxo, Luchessa.
    Luchessa.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. That blush palette looks amazing!

    Sarah
    morethanadored.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, keeping these products in mind for my next make up purchase.

    Alex ♡
    Bump to Baby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post, really helpful! I have a few of the items mentions and they're great.

    Stevie | Stevie Hearts Makeup
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally agree with the tkmaxx thing - ive had some fab producs from there for a fraction of the price. Enjoyed this post :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never tried any of these products - the horror. Slap my wrists. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nearly everything in this post I either have or want. I'm definitely a high street girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That blush palette looks amazing!

    Zoe // The Caribbean Flower

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish Maybelline would release a nude version of the colour tattoo in the UK, it would probably be my holy grail as an eyeshadow primer/base!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a great post! There are so many drugstore products out there that rock! Unfortunately most of the ones you listed aren't sold in the US *sad face*

    Sarah
    Eyeshadow Addicts Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fab post! I have so many of these products! I rediscovered my Maybelline Colour Tattoo a few weeks ago and forgot how much I liked it xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! I'm in love with MUA palettes, great shades & quality for the price. Collection concealer is my new favourite too :)

    Don't forget swaps (eg. Makeupalley) as a great way to try new products & not spend money!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all the products you've picked. I really like ELF brushes as they are so soft and the quality is amazing considering how cheap they are. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was really helpful, I think I need to pick up some of these products myself (especially love the Maybelline Colour Tattoo) :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message :)

Please note that 'lets follow each other' type comments will be deleted and not replied to.

© Makeup-Pixi3. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig