Sunday 17 March 2013

Lifestyle - Being happy

I've had my share of ups and downs like I'm sure all/most of you have, certainly some 'downs' that feel more horrendous than others (like loosing my mum), but I'm a firm believer that trying to have a positive outlook and having things planned to look forward too, really help keep us focussed, and helps the not-so-good days go by a bit easier and maybe even make us happy.

I wanted to write a bit of a different post as I have a few nice things planned this year that have been keeping me happy, and I thought that maybe by sharing these, you might be inspired to plan some fun stuff too, and we can all have a happy year together :)  So here's my tips for being happy, it's what works for me anyway :)

Make Plans



(above image is from weheartit) I have some great things to look forward to this year, I might not be able to do all of them, but planning them, I think, is half the fun.  If everything works out, this year I will be;

  • Visiting my brother, sister-in-law, niece and nephew in Southern France for a long weekend
  • Spending Christmas with my Dad in Ireland (and hopefully my nan too - she's 91 in April)
  • Heading to Edinburgh to meet two lovely bloggers I've become good friends with <3
  • Going to London for my birthday in April and to go to Tattooed Tea Lady's blogger event
That's quite a lot of things, and half of them may not happen, but planning for them and having things like that to look forward to really help, especially if you're having a blue day.

Eat/Drink well



(above image is from weheartit) By 'well' I mean healthily.  Yes, I'm overweight so you may not think I'm the best person to give this advice, but I do enjoy eating healthily.  For me, I find it really satisfying when I start the day out well by having a really healthy breakfast, like diced mango and melon and a cup of camomile tea, maybe a muller light to go with it.  It's little things like that, that make me feel happy on the inside too, knowing my body will thank me for it and I'm doing something right.  It's like a mini victory for that little voice on your shoulder telling you all the things you 'should' do, but don't :)

Spend time with your friends



This, for me, is probably one of the most important things to do.  Whenever I've spent an evening with my friends, I just feel awesome afterwards.  No amount of tweeting, gaming, blogging or any of the 'sit at my laptop and shut off the world, but I'm being social' stuff I do makes me feel quite as great as spending an evening with friends and a bottle of wine.  And yep, that's me on the right, after quite a few drinks :p  (hubby in the middle)

Get a pet



Being the crazy cat lady I am, this is probably a no-brainer.  But, for me, having a pet (cat) makes me super happy.  My cat (Matilda) is the most beautiful cat ever, she makes us laugh and makes me very happy.  I look forward to getting home every day so I can see her and give her a cuddle, my home with my husband and cat is my 'happy place' :)  And yes, that's my cat looking all crazy!

Treat others how you wish to be treated



(above image is from weheartit) This is a really important one for me.  My mum always told me that this is really important, if you're bitchy to people and nasty, people are going to be like it to you, and lets face it, who wants that?  It's something I've always tried to live by, not always achieved it!  But I think in life, if you treat people nicely, people will do the same to you - not always of course, but overall they will, and besides, it's much easier to be nice than it is to be nasty :)


Wear your heart on your sleeve



(above image is from weheartit) Again this is something my mother taught me.  I've taken real stick for this in the past, people judging me because I might be attached to something or 'overly' upset in their eyes over something that's happened, but that's who I have most respect for, you know where you are with people who are honest and if they're upset, they say so.  I know I'm making myself sound like an emotional wreck, but in all seriousness, I couldn't go through life hiding my emotions and putting up a 'wall' to hide behind.  Life is there to be felt :)

I know this wasn't a typical post you'd expect to see on here, but it was something I really wanted to write about :)

What's your top tip for being happy?




image credits - 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th pics were taken from weheartit - the other two are mine :)

This months bigest pixi3 advertiser is the lovely Laura from A Scottish Lass,
And be sure to check out my lovely middle-pixi3 advertisers who this month are Sarah from Life in a Breakdown, Angelica from One Little Vice, Fiona from La Belle Dame Sans Merci, and Sally from The Human Mannequin, and the lovely Luchessa from Beauty Expression by Luchessa - be sure to head over to check out their beautiful blogs <3

 
SHARE:

15 comments

  1. I am sorry to hear that you were sad and sorry for your loss xx I think you're brave to try so hard to be happy and I will be following in your footsteps to make myself happy.

    I am going to that meet up too btw xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Sophie :) Look forward to seeing you at the meet up :)

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about your mum. She's given you some sound advice and good you've got lots of fun time planned. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for your loss, really can't imagine what you're going through. Although this was a really nice post for you to write, message me if you end up going to Edinburgh and I can recommend all my favourite places to you! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Completely agree with the pets bit! You can sit and talk to them and they have to listen if you have a can of food in your hand.

    This is all very good advice, I would like to add take a little time for yourself every day, even if its just 20 minutes with a good book before bed, a half hour bath or if your really extravagant, a mani/pedi, make it be something you choose to do that will make you happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a great idea about making time for yourself too :) Very important :)

      Delete
  5. This is a really great post. I'm sorry about the loss of your mum, dealing with a loss of any kind is often difficult. I really like your thoughts on how to be happy, especially the one about making plans. For me, that is the biggest excitement.
    I hope you are in an "up" moment!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalie :) I am in an 'up' moment indeed :)

      Delete
  6. This post is so perfect right now, I really need to learn to be happy again. I really need to eat better, so I think I'm starting there.
    One of my top tips is do something every day that makes you happy/that you enjoy. I try to either play with makeup or game or something like that. One small thing can really help :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh let me know how you get on :) I really like your tip too :)

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear about your mum - I can't imagine how tough that is.
    Some great tips hear, I definitely agree with eating well and making plans. Also, you diary is gorgeous!

    Jesss xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks :) Sadly the diary is not mine, the image was taken from weheartit :)

      Delete
  8. I really loved reading this :) it made me happy!! Nice change.
    Love your planner by the way!! And I usually hate tattoos but I loved yours so pretty and truthful.

    daisydreamsof.blogspot.co.uk

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daisy! Oh it's not my tattoo, it's an image from weheartit :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message :)

Please note that 'lets follow each other' type comments will be deleted and not replied to.

© Makeup-Pixi3. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig