Wednesday 10 October 2012

How to: Set up a Google Analytics account

As someone who works in SEO (search engine optimisation) for a living, I live my working day in Google Analytics.  So many times during the #bbloggers chats I'm trying to help others set up their Google Analytics accounts that I thought it would be good to actually write a how to guide!  It's really simple and only takes a few steps.

Why should I set up Google Analytics?
If you're a blogger, and ever want to work with PR agencies, or just want to have an idea on how your posts perform, or how changes you make to your blog impact your stats, then you really need to set one up, they're totally free and as far as I'm concerned, provide invaluable information.  If you're anything like me, you'll get addicted to the real time view :)

This is the first in a 2 part series (second part here).  The next instalment will be about understanding all the stats you will have gathered :)  So, lets get started!

Step 1
Ensure you have a google account (if you have gmail, blogger, youtube accounts then you will).  If not, set one up.  Once you've done that, go to Google Analytics and click on 'sign up' (see pic below)


Step 2
Put your blog name in (1), your blog URL in (2), and your country and and industry category in (3) (for my blog, I picked Media and Entertainment) - scroll down and click next/save etc.


Step 3
It now takes you to the screen below where you can find your tracking ID. (I've blurred my sensitive tracking information).  When you get to this screen, scroll down.


Step 4
After scrolling you'll now see the screen below.  Highlight and copy the tracking code (which is blurred out on here)  :)


Step 5 
Final step!  Open your blogger dashboard, click on Settings > Posts and comments and paste the code in the 'post template field'.  Then hit save, and your done, capiche!


Tip - If there are any pages or posts you want to start tracking immediately, open up the page or post as if you're going to edit it.  Then click on the HTML button up on the left and paste the code at the top of the code.  Otherwise only pages/posts from the day you set this up will start tracking views.

The tracking code can take up to 24 hours to start tracking posts too and can throw up error messages during that time - but hopefully, if you wait the 24 hrs, you'll start getting some stats in :)

I hope that's helped - if you have any questions please do post them below and I'll answer all of them :)

SHARE:

20 comments

  1. thanks for your info,i will try it,thanks so much ^_^

    XOXO
    http://leeviahan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've followed all your steps and I believe that I have now got an account. I shall be waiting for part two because I'm still unsure what I have signed up for haha (but thats just me not getting things first time haha)

    C
    xxx
    ateeniebitofthisandthat.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just what I needed. Thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! Thank you so much for sharing, i've often wondered about this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post was amazing and so helpful! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are a life saver with this post I wouldnt have had a clue :) Thank you so so much xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this! Was really helpful and you made it very simple!
    Rosy x
    http://rostinted.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok thanks for this! brilliant!! :) :) you are now my go to girl for all techno info! hehe! :) x x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hiya! I have followed your steps and the tracking info still says that I have not installed tracker! arghh I hate techno stuff! lol....

    Thanks for this anyway as I'm probably the most clueless person ever!!! :)

    Siobhan xxx

    www.allthatglittersinthisworld.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Found this post from the guest post you wrote on Bloggers Bunch. I've just installed it, excited to see the outcome!

    an-accidental-discovery.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Georgina, I have been reading all of your posts on blogging. So helpful! Per my previous comment on another post, I am on WordPress. I use a site stat provided with a plug-in that was furnished with my blog. Will Google analytics work in tandem with WP? It does track visits/views, but does not differentiate unique visits, and unfortunately, my previews to my posts are counted as a view. It is not supposed to, but it does. I've tested it. Thank you again :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Omg! That was so easy how you explained it, I didn't have a clue what I was doing lol just set it up so fingers crossed it'll work :) Thanks for writing this post xx

    Handbags To Change Bags - Mummy & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a fantastic help, thank you so much!!

    Ila x

    http://cleanserblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I just added this now, thank. But I've been using GA since I started my blog about a month ago and it's been giving me stats this whole time. How is that possible since I never posted that tracking code? What the heck was it tracking? I'm so confused!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was such a useful post, thank you! Even I (a complete technophobe) managed to easily follow your instructions. Brilliant! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you SO MUCH for posting this! I set up my Google Analytics account months ago but was too much of a doofus to manage to install it properly UNTIL NOW! Amazing!

    Jo x
    www.woobered.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message :)

Please note that 'lets follow each other' type comments will be deleted and not replied to.

© Makeup-Pixi3. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig