Sunday 12 January 2014

Spending ban update - The End!

The front of the Canon EOS 600d with the 50mm lens

The back of the Canon EOS 600d with the 50mm lens
After a couple of months (3 I think) of being on this beauty spending ban, I'm happy to announce I'm finally off it!!!  Well, sort of!

On Thursday evening we went to Jessops to have a look at the Canon EOS 60d and 600d - the aim was to see after having a play with both, which we actually wanted.  The aim was the 60d, but the 600d was in a January sale.  After holding the two of them and using them, for me the 600d was by far the better camera - the 60d was just too heavy, it made my arm ache after half a minute, whereas the 600d was really light and easy to use.  If I'd have been using the camera on a tripod for most of the time the 60d may have been the better camera to get, but I'll be holding it for the majority of the time.  

We had enough money saved (including some Christmas money) to purchase the 600d there and then, so we did :)  To go with it we bought a 50mm lens too, great for focussing on a specific thing and getting a very blurry background (and some bokeh going on!).  As well as it being on offer, it also had another offer where it came with about £100 worth of kit (spare battery (essential!), camera case, lens cleaner and a LCD protector).  To go with that we also bought a decent memory card and a cheap (£20) tripod.

Both hubby and I couldn't be happier, we've been taking photo's of all sorts of bits and bobs from around the house, and I've already shot 2 videos on it (one is already live and the other will be live on Tuesday).

We had to add a little extra money to our savings to be able to afford it, so even though we've bought the camera and my spending ban has officially come to an end, I'm going to say on the ban until the end of January.  February will hopefully then see me become the proud owner of the NARS sheer glow foundation, and the Urban Decay Naked 3 palette :)

So hopefully from now on, this blog will be adorned with stunning photo's and blurry backgrounds :) Here's a few of the pics we've been taking - be warned, we're still learning so they're not perfect :)

A pic of me taking a pic

Blogging

A close up of a little sculpture I made years ago

A close up of Matilda





This months Biggest-Pixi3 advertiser is the lovely Luchessa from Beauty Expression

 
SHARE:

20 comments

  1. Yeay so happy for you sweetie. A good new camera makes a difference. I'm dreaming of a new one for this year. Oh and how cute is that cat?!
    xo,
    Luchessa.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely :) I know, she's beautiful isn't she :) Looking forward to taking a million photo's of her :)

      Delete
  2. I've been meaning to get a new camera for ages! Very nice way to end your spending ban ;)

    Love your blog! :)

    Fairytale Kiss

    Jade x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jade :) Well, if you don't have this one I'd highly recommend it :)

      Delete
  3. Congrats on completing your spending ban - 3 months is a really long time, made very worthwhile by that gorgeous new Camera. I can't wait to see your posts using it.
    http://www.letstalkbeauty.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki! Yeah, it went quite quickly because of the run up to Christmas, it helped that I was super busy too :)

      Delete
  4. Yay exciting, lovely to celebrate the end of your spending ban!

    Sophie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are fab! I've had my Canon 600D since the Summer and haven't learned how to use it properly yet! I've bought a book on how to use it though so hopefully I'll stop using the automatic settings soon :) xx

    http://www.suzyheartsbeauty.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely :) We put ours on AV mode with the 50mm lens, then if you hold the shoot button it'll pick the best clarity of shot :) Makes it easier :)

      Delete
  6. Congrats on doing the spending ban, I've tried it once...and I lasted about 2 weeks. The temptation was too much.
    I recently just bought the same camera! I've been thinking about getting the 50mm lens as well but I'm still unsure. Although I really want the bokeh look.

    Kah-Feh Yen | YSL Rouge Volupté Lipstick Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I'd highly recommend the 50mm - for us it was £89 and worth every penny - you'd love it :)

      Delete
  7. Lovely photos! I've had my Canon 1000D for almost 4 years now and I desperately want a new camera but being a uni student I can't afford one so I'm opting for a new lens instead.

    Glad you're happy with your camera!

    Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely :) Ah, that's probably where your money is best spent anyway :)

      Delete
  8. I got a new digital camera for Christmas and was so disappointed so my step dad has started to let me use his more and more.. a big real grown ups camera!! Its amazing the quality difference!
    xxx | daisydaisyxxo
    ENTER MY GIVEAWAY HERE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got this camera on sale a couple of weeks ago too, and love it! I have the 18-55 mm lens, but am thinking of maybe getting the 50mm for blogging purposes :)

    www.natalielovesbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done for completing your spending ban! The camera photos look fab! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought this camera when it first came out, just over a year ago and I still love it! It takes such great quality photos. I can't wait to see more photos you've taken with it! :) x

    beyondthevisiblespectrum.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done, it must be so satisfying having saved enough for your goal! I've noticed your AMAZING photos on facebook lately. x

    Leanne - A Slice of My Life

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow, I am jealous! Trying to sell a few bits so I can get the 600D (I think!)

    Danniella x | www.famousinjapan.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message :)

Please note that 'lets follow each other' type comments will be deleted and not replied to.

© Makeup-Pixi3. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig