Monday 19 May 2014

Out with the old #2

old lip glosses to throw away
 These are all going in the bin as I can't say I like any of them.  I did try selling the MAC Dazzleglass but no one was interested - it's FAR too sticky for my liking!

old lipsticks to throw away
 My lipsticks I don't like, or are old - the Inika lip whip isn't a lipstick, but it was the same height of these, hence why it's in this pic :)

old maybelline colour tattoos to throw away
 My Maybelline Colour Tattoo collection - all very old, they were all bought as soon a the range was released, and have gotten pretty try and hard to work with now.  I still have one shade, Barely Beige from an American makeup swap, but I doubt I'd replace it with another.

old mascaras to throw away
 Most of these are too old to keep on using, and some are old and dry.

old skin bases to throw away
 Didn't like the Superdrug B. foundation, my Rimmel wake me up has gotten a lot darker, the Chanel Le Blanc is VERY old, I bought it for getting married nearly 6 years ago!  The NARS is more of an empty, and the Max Factor CC cream I hated (my face was sticky with it).

old single eye shadows to throw away
 Some single eye shadows that are either old, or I don't like (the Urban Decay ones are VERY old).

old gel liners to throw away
 Very old gel eyeliners that I used enough to review, and never used again.  Says a lot really eh?

old face powders to throw away
 Face powders I shouldn't have bought - the two maybelline ones are far too dark for me, the Elf one is too, and the Jerome Alexander magic minerals is over 2 years old now.

old MUA palettes to throw away
 Old MUA palettes - had these for a long time - didn't see the need to keep the 'Undressed' palette as I now own an Urban Decay naked palette which is better in quality.

old trios and quads to throw away
 Old trios and quads - the far left (VIVO) one is bad quality, wasn't keen on the Elf one, the other three are just too old.

old brow products to throw away
 The two on the left are brow products - I'm happy with what I use and will probably never use these again, so they can go.  The Smooch duo was lovely, but too much fallout, so probably wouldn't use again, and the Too Faced palette I picked up in TK Maxx and didn't really like the colours, it was an impulse by because of seeing Too Faced in TK Maxx :P

old blushers and bronzers to throw away
 Broke my heart binning that Chanel quad - but it must be like 8 years old, I haven't used it in years.  The others are products that I didn't get on with (the Elf contour is ok, it's just too glittery for me).

old unwanted eye shadows to throw away
 The Urban Decay eye shadow stick... I wanted to love this so much, but it creased on my like crazy, and it's really old, the Mally shadow stick I won on a Twitter giveaway a blogger was doing - she said it was new, but alas when it came it was used... the other two shadows I bought for a makeup job I was doing, and they're not colours I'd wear.

old products to throw away
Finally some odds and sodds.  The Santa lip scrub was in a goody bag from Lush, and I wanted to love it, but the taste... *shudders*, the lush eyeliner was a gift from a friend, but it's expired - the others are also old and unloved... 

Every now and then I have a big clear out of my makeup.  Well, now that we have a baby on the way, we'll be losing our spare room to turn it into a nursery, and my makeup collection will be moving with me into the bedroom, which means I won't have enough room for about half of my makeup.  So, yesterday I began the process of starting to *nest* and sort out my makeup.  

Over the last couple of months I've been leaning towards using the same makeup most days, and whilst I don't like to do that, it has made me realise all the things I have that I don't want or use.  So I began with throwing out makeup that was too old to use, some of it was really old (years) and some was possibly still in a useable age (within 2 years) but getting close to that cut off, and it wasn't makeup I'd used in that time or could see myself using again.  A couple of items were just ones I really didn't like and decided it was time to get rid of them, as I wasn't going to wear them again.  A few others were ones I'd tried selling in a previous blog sale, but didn't sell.

When I posted pics of these on Facebook and Twitter (everything grouped together marked as 'bin') I had quite a few comments about why I was binning them - but considering I no longer have room for all of them, and how 90% of them were too old to use, I didn't see it as a big deal.  I know when you see it all together it looks quite shocking, I've never thrown out this much makeup in one go before, but it needed to be done.  I've also had conjunctivitis from wearing makeup that's too old back when I was about 18/19, I had no idea it went off - at that point I threw away all my makeup and bought a few new pieces, something you should always do if you get an eye or skin infection.

I'm hoping to use more of my collection now I'm not so overwhelmed by choice.  I managed to put a couple of pieces to one side for a friend too - none of which were too old, just products I hadn't been using and didn't see myself using :)

Here's how long makeup tends to last:

Foundation - 6-12 months
Concealer - 6-12 months
Powder - 2 years
Blusher & eye shadow - about 2 years (in some cases, up to 3)
Eye pencils - 2 years
Mascara - 3-6 months
Lipstick - 2 years
Lip gloss - 1 year

Hope you've enjoyed this post, when was your last clear out?




SHARE:

8 comments

  1. You're very brave throwing all this away.
    I have products that I never use either but I haud them all anyway.
    It's a shame I didn't see about the Mac lipgloss I think I would have been interested. I also adore the Moxfactor cc cream it's one of my faves
    | | Dreams Of New York | |

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey :) I've actually held off physically binning everything as I did wonder if anyone might want to buy any of it, it's currently all in a box in my spare room, so if you're still interested both the MAC lipgloss and Max Factor CC cream aren't old, I just don't like them :) Pop me an email if you're still interested :)

      Delete
  2. I would have definitely taken a few bits off your hands (: I am not going at throwing things away, I want to keep everything forever haha xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ash - if there's anything you'd be interested in grabbing for a very very cheap price (as long as it's not the old makeup, and just the makeup I didn't like) feel free to email me - it hasn't made the bin yet, it's in a box ready for the bin :)

      Delete
  3. I feel like I need to clean out my make up drawers soon! Love They're Real! xx Rena Kiss and Make Up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it needs to be done once in a while :)

      Delete
  4. oh no! i love the maybelline tattoos! so sad they got all dried up for you.
    Jenn
    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they're great, but unloved for quite a while now

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message :)

Please note that 'lets follow each other' type comments will be deleted and not replied to.

© Makeup-Pixi3. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig