Friday 9 January 2015

Photography tip: How to create bokeh with a DSLR

Recently the hubby and I have been playing around on the camera lots and messing around with different techniques.  One of my favourite photography tricks is to make bokeh pics, that's where you're not focussed on a light, and it creates a bit colourful circle.  My love for this started about 4 years ago when I started watching YouTube vids from people like Fleur De Force and Miss Glamorazzi, they so often had a lovely bokeh effect from candles and lights in the background, and it got me a little obsessed with creating the same effects.

In fact I love taking these pics so much, I've created a specific folder just for them :)  It's one of the easiest things to do.  I don't pretend to be anything other than a beginner at photography, but here's how we do it.

Make sure you have some lights up or in the background, fairly lights are probably the best for this effect.  Then take your camera (we tend to have the F-stop on anything between 1.8 - 4.0 using a 50mm lens), and focus on something close to you and while you have your finger pressed down on the button ready to go, aim the camera at the fairy lights and click!

It's literally that simple :)  The closer you get to the lights, the smaller the bokeh effect will be.  Don't be afraid to experiment with different coloured lights, different shapes etc.  If anyone still has Christmas lights up outside their house it could make for some great bokeh pics :)

Bokeh of fairy lights standing about 6ft away

Coloured Christmas tree bokeh, far away

Bokeh of fairy lights standing about 2 ft away
Coloured Christmas lights bokeh, close up

Bokeh of fairy lights at Tredegar House - looking down a row of lights with the F-Stop at 1.8
Bokeh at Tredegar House

Christmas tree bokeh :)
Christmas tree bokeh

There you go, it's super easy, and if I can do it you certainly can :)  Just have a play around with lights, F-Stops and distances and you'll get the effect you want :)  Oh and sorry I've been a bit quiet on here, I've been on holiday (you can read about that here).


SHARE:

5 comments

  1. How cool! I have always wondered how other bloggers created effects like this in their pictures but I never knew that it was so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty! I never knew how easy this actually is! Thanks for sharing!


    Mikayla :)
    www.thenorthernjoli.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love bokeh and I remember being obsessed with creating it when I first got my DSLR! It's so beautiful isn't it? I just need a 50mm lens now!

    Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a pretty effect to have for photos. I can't wait until I can manage to get my hands on a decent camera so I can start playing around with things like this x

    Becky @ The Little Blog of Beauty

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message :)

Please note that 'lets follow each other' type comments will be deleted and not replied to.

© Makeup-Pixi3. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig