Monday 26 October 2015

CROCHET | What I've been working on

If you follow me on Instagram, you'll know Crochet has kinda taken over my life recently.  What's weird, my love for makeup has really waned, but my love for crochet has totally taken it's place - it's literally all I want to do!  I even take it to work and crochet in my lunch time while sat in our chill out area :)

Anyway, I always have lots of works in progress (WIPs) on the go, some big and some small, so I thought I'd show you what I'm working on and what I've finished recently.

Giant Sofa Blanket

Massive granny square sofa blanket
This has been a WIP for me for ages now - it's massive.  We sit on a 4 seater sofa, and I'm making this big enough to span us both and tuck around our arms, and cover us shoulders to toes.  It's about 20 squares wide, and will probably be about 18 squares long.  In all honesty, I don't see me getting this finished before Christmas, but that's fine :)

Tartan Granny Blanket

Tartan granny squares
This is going to be a present for my step Dad, who's Scottish.  I was trying to do it in his tartan colours, but it's now more 'inspired by' those colours and will form a rough tartan pattern.  Just 2 months left to get this done, and this is all I've done on it so far... long way to go!

Snowflake Christmas Decorations

Crochet snowflakes
I know these aren't the easiest to see on a white background (D'Oh!), but I followed Bella Coco's tutorial to create some pretty white snowflakes.  I bought some white yarn with a little sparkle to it a couple months ago, and was waiting for a snowflake tutorial to crop up so I could crochet some Christmas decorations.  She's also teamed up with Kirstie Allsopp and Love Crochet for Home-Start's Christmas appeal - they're asking for people to crochet snowflakes (and raise money) to help vulnerable children - you can see the video here if you're interested in getting involved.

Sunrise Crochet Blanket

Sunrise Crochet blanket squares
Gosh, I really need to send these squares off, they're supposed to arrive by the 31st.  But basically remember just a few weeks ago that poor policeman who was murdered by the runaway drivers? PC David Phillips? Well, the crochet community are coming together to make a sunrise blanket for his family.  The idea is that a sunrise appears after the darkest of times, bringing hope to people going through a horrible time.  We had a colour scheme (sunrise colours), and lots of us have crocheted some granny squares to send off.  The person organising it will then crochet them all together, and give the blanket to the family.  I love getting involved in little projects like this, it's lovely to do something worthwhile with something that brings me so much joy.

Autumnal Hex Blanket

Stylecraft DK hexes
The other night, I asked the hubby if he'd like me to crochet him a blanket - he usually has one over his shoulders when he's at the computer.  He said he'd love a hex blanket, and when I asked what colours, he said Autumnal (you can see why I married him) :)  So this is the first stack of hexes that'll make up the blanket - there's 20 hexes all in Stylecraft DK, this shade is from their limited edition range, in Tomato.  There's about 5 different colours going into it, maybe more :)

I have to say, I've enjoyed crocheting hexes more than granny squares, I find them so much more fun and satisfying! I can see more hex blankets in my future!  One of my next projects is a geek one, I'll be crocheting a big hex blanket based on the Settlers of Catan board game :)

Amigurumi Teddy Bear

Amigurumi teddy bear
I've been learning how to crochet amigurumi and this is my first project.  It's not perfect, the stitches are a bit loose, but hey, it's my first project :)  I just have one foot left to crochet, and then I need to stitch them all on, and stitch him some eyes.  Then I can give it to Squidge :)  I might save it and give it to him for one of his Christmas presents :)  If you're interested in trying something like this, here is the tutorial I have been following.

Corner to Corner baby blanket

Corner to corner baby girl blanket
A while ago I bought some really pretty yarn, I thought it was going to be proper self striping and so a corner to corner blanket would be perfect.  I have pretty mixed feelings about this blanket.  I really enjoyed making it, and the way I've folded it for the photo I'm hiding a multitude of sins where I've made mistakes and didn't notice until it was finished (woops).  But as you can see, it wasn't exactly self striping yarn, and I'm not overly keen on the colours.  I'd definitely use a different yarn next time.

Baby Boy Blanket

Baby boy granny square blanket
A local mummy friend of mine has a baby whom Squidge has lots of play dates with.  Her baby turned 1 just 3 weeks before Squidge, so about 3 weeks before his birthday I decided to crochet him a blanket as his mummy takes him out in the pram for walks every day and has a lovely bright blue pram.  I wish I could say I enjoyed this project, but I think because I had quite a tight deadline on it I didn't enjoy it as much.  I'm really happy with how it turned out and love the little single crochet border around the edge :)  I didn't follow a special pattern or anything, I just made it all up from a palette of 4 different blues and 2 different yellows.

So there's my current WIPs and finished projects (recent ones).  If you have any questions to ask feel free to leave a comment.  Also, if you're thinking about getting into crochet but aren't sure where to start, I wrote a bit of a 'Crochet for beginners' post here which you might find useful - I've linked to all the YouTube tutorials I learned from, and go through the kit you'll need to get started.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message :)

Please note that 'lets follow each other' type comments will be deleted and not replied to.

© Makeup-Pixi3. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig