Wednesday 18 March 2015

£15 High Street Challenge - March

£15 Monthly high street challenge - March
This month for my £15 High Street Challenge I decided to focus on one brand, e.l.f.  They have a 50% sale on so I thought I'd be able to get a lot of bang for my buck.

There's a caveat on this post though I'm afraid - on the website for the Personal Blend Foundation, they only had Medium and Dark listed, they didn't have a light that was sold out or greyed out etc, so I'd assumed that the Medium shade would be suitable for fair skin.  But when it came I realised it's far too dark for me and I'm having to send it back.  I do wish they'd had it listed on there but as unavailable as I'd been able to avoid this mix up then.  That aside, because of this, I'm now nearly £5 short of my challenge target - that's good because it's always nice to save money, however, I can't really get to the shops easily now I have Squidge, so I do most of my shopping online it's just not worth me spending £5 on something and paying like, £3 delivery... ah well.  Let's take a look at what I bought.

elf products in their boxes

I bought:
Mineral blusher in Rose £5.95
Mineral concealer in Light £5.95
Personal Blend Foundation in Medium £8.95 (sending back)
Mineral Glow in Shimmer £7.95

A grand total of £19.85 (not including the Personal Blend Foundation), but it was 50% off, so the actual total cost was £9.92, bargain!

elf haul

elf pots on their boxes

elf swatches

It's a bit of a mixed bunch really - I always seem to do this with e.l.f - browse their catalogue, buy a few products and wish I'd bought other things - not that I don't like what I'd bought, but I feel like I'm missing out on some real gems of theirs by not researching what I'm buying properly.

Take the blusher for example - I think it's a little dark for me, but on the website it looked perfect - what I should have done was look up swatches in advance, and then I'd have picked a different shade. The Mineral Glow - I'm not really sure on the best way to use this - it doesn't seem to be a highlighter, more like a pressed powder with a bit of glitter in it - so do I dust this over my face before a night out or do I use it as a very subtle highlighter?

The concealer looks great, however I should have listened to my instincts and bought the lighest one as this one, I think, will be the tiniest bit too dark - we'll have to see once it's in place and not on the back of my hand (which is darker).

I'm not disappointed with this months' haul, but I'm not elated either.  I'm looking forward to trying the products out and seeing what they're like, I was just quite excited about the foundation, so I'm disappointed I won't be getting to try that.

Do you have any suggestions on how to use the Mineral Glow?
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. The glow is pretty, have you figured out its best use yet? I'd use in on my cupids bow as my lips are tiny lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't :/ Thing is, it's like a setting powder, but with little bits of glitter in it - I'd prefer to use a normal highlighter on my cupids bow, something that's shimmery as opposed to glittery if you know what I mean? I think I need to experiment with this :P It kinda reminds me of the Bourjois java rice powder, and that stuff is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh have fun playing, I cant think of any reason for a glittering setting powder other Tha Halloween lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love elf products but everything that I go to order is out of stock!

    Jenna | Jenna Loves Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love Elf products but I often find it can be hit or miss with some of their items.

    Leanne xx

    nailsandteapots

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah they're decent products - yeah they're too popular for their own good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah that's what I've found - like I said in my post, I really need to research what to buy more when it comes to e.l.f :) They have some great stuff but I seem to keep missing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the main reason why I dislike buying makeup from online. I'm so worried about the hassle of getting the wrong shade and having to send it back. :-/

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
  9. I very nearly grabbed some bits in the sale and opted out when I noticed everything was 'medium' or 'dark' - I'm very much a porcelain/ivory girl so it wasn't an option! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah it's always a risk :/ I should have researched more first, it's really my own fault :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah exactly, I'd just assumed that medium would be suitable for pale as there was no pale option :/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message :)

Please note that 'lets follow each other' type comments will be deleted and not replied to.

© Makeup-Pixi3. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig