Wednesday 19 November 2014

Recipe: Bread & Butter pudding

Bread & Butter pudding straight out of the oven

Bread & Butter pudding with Madagascan vanilla custard
I've been really enjoying cooking and baking again now that I'm not pregnant and repulsed by most foods :P  I've never made bread & butter pudding, my mum used to make it when I was young and I remember it being lovely, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.  I got the recipe from the Sunrise Care website.

Ingredients
6 slices of white bread
30g salted butter
15g currants
60ml semi-skimmed milk
20ml double cream
20g caster sugar
1/4 lemon, zested
Pinch of ground nutmeg
150ml vanilla custard
2 eggs
20g brown sugar

Method
1. Preheat oven to 180C/ fan 160C/ gas mark 4 and butter the baking dish. 
2. Butter the bread, cut the crusts off and arrange a layer at the bottom of the prepared baking dish and top with half of the currants.
3. Repeat Step 2 until the slices of bread and currants have been used. 
4. In a separate bowl cream together the eggs with the sugar until pale yellow, then add the milk, double cream and lemon zest. 
5. Pour the mix over the bread making, ensuring all of the bread is covered. 
6. Sprinkle with nutmeg and brown sugar.
7. Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
8. Serve with vanilla custard. 

As this is the first time I've made bread & butter pudding, I have nothing to compare it to, what I can say, it turned out to be very tasty and went down well!

It would have been nice if the recipe had said what size baking dish to use, I used the smallest one I have and had to add 2 slices of bread to the mix as 6 slices weren't quite enough - so I had to add extra milk and cream to the mix too :)

Follow me on Google Plus | Bloglovin | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest




*The cost of the ingredients were covered by Sunrise Care
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. Beautiful, is to cherish the things in life that money can't buy...they're priceless! Check out Robecart.com Designer Women's Top Fashion Brands it has the best selection of fashionable clothes, jeans, dress, bags, shoes, accessories, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this looks amazing, my parents love this so I must try it out!

    Hayley

    Water Painted Dreams xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! My Dad always used to make bread and butter pudding so now I'm not at home I miss it!

    Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so simple and delicious! I have been really loving baking too, didn't have an oven back in Malaysia so I am currently making up for lost time by baking up a storm, LOL!

    Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yumm this looks amazing, will have to try it out over the Chirstmas period x

    Beauty with charm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow this looks amazing! It looks so good considering this is your very first attempt xx

    Gemma | missmakeupmagpie.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually started drooling from the pictures. I haven't had bread and butter pudding in ages, it used to be a favourite!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message :)

Please note that 'lets follow each other' type comments will be deleted and not replied to.

© Makeup-Pixi3. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig